You are responsible for eliminating or at least reducing pathogen transmission in clinical practice.
This newly revised and updated 5th edition of Infection Control and OSHA Essentials sets out the methods necessary to help you achieve this goal and will guide you through the challenges facing health care workers today.
The latest OSHA requirements and CDC recommendations are summarized and explained, and topics such as
- occupational exposure responses
- personal infection control
- instrument sterilization
- hazard control
- preventing Infection in the workplace
- emerging infections and drug-resistant pathogens
receive in-depth coverage, making this edition your infection control handbook of choice for your office and professional library.
How to know what to order? If you would like to receive an electronic copy of the book and test then choose our PDF or eBook options! Does a friend already have the book or do you? Then just order a test that can be delivered either via email or mailed as a hard copy. All tests can be taken online or via our mail option.
Health Studies is a New York approved provider of Infection Control for all professions. Approval 2019 through 2025
Last reviewed: January 1, 2017
Expires: January 1, 2020
- The requirements of OSHA's "Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens, Final Rule."
- Types of pathogen transmission and associated infectious substances.
- Standard and Transmission-Based Precautions and their uses.
- Appropriate patient isolations and health care worker restrictions.
- Persons at high risk of infection and types of preexposure prophylaxis.
- Types of postexposure prophylaxis and first aid.
- At-work personal infection control procedures and equipment
- Recommended sterilization and disinfection practices.
- Procedures for dealing with sharps, chemical hazards, and regulated waste.
- OSHA-required employee training and record keeping.
Table of Contents
Emerging and Re-emerging Infections
General Infection Control
Preexposure and Postexposure
Health Care Workers' Responsibilities
Understanding the Cycle of Infection
Preventing Infection in the Workplace
Learning and Sharing Information
- Chapter 1 The Infection
Process Cycle of Infection
Interrupting the Infection Process
- Chapter 2 Overview of Bacteria and Protozoans
Escherichia coli Serotype O157:H7
Neisseria meningitidis (Meningococcus)
Streptococcus pneumoniae (Pneumococcus)
Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus (VRE)
- Chapter 3 Overview of Viruses
Hepatitis A Virus
Hepatitis B Virus
Hepatitis C Virus
Other Hepatitis Viruses
Herpes Simplex Viruses
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
Respiratory Syncytial Virus
Varicella Zoster Virus
- Chapter 4 Occupational Exposure Responses
- Chapter 5 At-Work Personal Infection Control
Handwashing and Hand Antisepsis
Hand-Cleansing Methods and Agents
Surgical Hand Scrub
Personal Protective Equipment
OSHA-Required Inhalation and Eye Protection
Types of Inhalation Protection
Types of Eye protection
Special Dentistry Barriers
Other Personal Infection Control
- Chapter 6 Sterilizing Instruments
Susceptibility of Microbes
Sterilants and Their Uses
Unsaturated Chemical Vapor
Presoaking Instruments (Step 1)
Precleaning Instruments (Step 2)
Packaging Instruments (Step 3)
Loading Sterilizers (Step 4)
Monitoring Sterilization (Step 5)
Handling and Storing Sterilized Instruments (Step 6)
Sterilizer Cleaning Chain of Events in Clinical Settings
- Chapter 7 Disinfection
Intermediate- and Low-Level Disinfection
Special Disinfecting Procedures
Dental Unit Water Line Disinfection
Dental Material Disinfection
Dental Radiographic Equipment
- Chapter 8 Hazard Controls
Sharps: Handle with Care!
Tips on Sharps in General
Tips on Use and Disposal of Needles
Regulated Waste Containers
Warning and Identification Labels
Disposal of Regulated Waste
- Chapter 9 Planning and Training
Exposure Control Plan
Infection Control Manager
Employee Medical Evaluations
All Contagious Diseases
- Chapter 10 Record Keeping
Employee Medical Records
Logs 300 and 301
Sharps Injury Log
Appendix A Information Sources
Appendix B Preexposure Vaccination Checklist for U.S. Residents
Appendix C Infection Control Checklist for Outpatient Clinical Practices
Appendix D Disease Spread in Dental Offices
Reference List for Further Study