This book is for people who have osteoporosis, their families, and others interested in learning more about the disease. It describes osteoporosis and its impact and contains information about the causes, diagnosis, and treatment of this disease. This book also describes current research efforts supported by the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS). Also covered are risk factors for osteoporotic fractures, dental complications and ways to prevent the disease and its progression.
How to know what to order? This course comes as a booklet with the course and test all in one so you are only paying to take the test. If you would like to receive an electronic copy of the booklet/test then choose our PDF email option! Would you rather receive a hard copy in the mail? Then choose the book/test option. Email courses will take their test online while those that choose the hard copy can either mail their test back in the envelop we provide for grading OR take your test right online for immediate grading.
(book and test) Traditional Hardcopy
(PDF and test by email) Online Only
Last reviewed: January 1, 2017
Expires: January 1, 2020
- The public health burden associated with osteoporosis.
- Etiologic factors associated with development of osteoporosis.
- Risk factors for osteoporosis and related fractures.
- Diagnostic modalities and criteria for making a diagnosis of osteoporosis.
- Nonpharmacologic approaches to the management of osteoporosis.
- Pharmacologic options for the treatment of osteoporosis and their possible side effects.
- Strategies to improve outcomes and quality of life in patients with osteoporosis.
- Measures to prevent the development of osteoporosis.
- Oral health implications of osteoporosis, as well as the bisphosphonates prescribed forosteoporosis.
Table of Contents
- Chapter 1 Epidemiology
- Chapter 2 Etiology
Bone Mass and Osteoporosis
Causes of Osteoporosis
- Chapter 3 Burden of Osteoporosis
Morbidity and Mortality
Direct and Indirect Costs
- Chapter 4 Risk Factors for Osteoporosis and Fractures
Unmodifiable Risk Factors
Modifiable Risk Factors
- Chapter 5 Diagnosis
BMD Test Results
- Chapter 6 Treatment
Calcium and Vitamin D
Maintaining Bone Health
- Chapter 7 Pharmacologic Therapy
FDA-Approved Drug Options
Estrogen and Hormone Therapy
- Chapter 8 Improving Outcomes
Factors Affecting Compliance
Resources for Enhancing Adherence
- Chapter 9 Prevention
Calcium and Vitamin D
Medications and Bone Loss
- Chapter 10 Quality of Life
- Chapter 11 Current Research
Bone Cell Biology
Osteoporosis in Men
- Chapter 12 Osteoporosis and Periodontal Disease
Oral Bone Loss
- Chapter 13 Osteonecrosis and Bisphosphonates
Risk Factors for ONJ